Columbia, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: What does a parent have to do for a child to be able to legally run away without getting in trouble?

My family is not a good one. I get yelled at everyday for the smallest things. My step mother shoved scissors in my FACE recently and started yelling. Saying how I should not talk back and I should be scared. She threatens to strangle her own baby but gets offended when you think she is actually going to do it. She also is mean and calls me ugly, stupid, etc. All my friends, classmates, and teachers complain about the way I am being treated and how much I talk about what happens at home. I do not have a device to do anything on so I am using a school chromebook. I do not have a person tablet or phone. My parents do not trust me with technology. They tried getting my chromebook taken from me. I want to run away but I am too scared, and I don't know where to go because there is not a better place for me to live. My parents do not know I am doing this and will be furious if they find out. I hope you an help and tell me what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell
  • Mt Vernon, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: No minor can legally run away without getting into trouble. If things truly are as bad as you say, you should go to the police station to tell them what is going on and ask to be placed into foster care. There is a place for all children to go, which is the foster care system if being home is truly that bad.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.