Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: Child hurt back at 17.5 years old. Ongoing medical bills after the age of 18. Are parents still responsible?

Father refusing to help pay portion of medical bills after 18

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: After the child is emancipated, the parents are no longer financially responsible.

A child is emancipated once one of the following happens:

1. The child turns 18 AND graduates high school.

2. If the child does not graduate high school, the child turns 19.

3. A Court declares the child emancipated.

4. The child marries.

If these bills were incurred after your child turned 18 and graduated high school, the father is not financially responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.