Detroit, MI asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Michigan

Q: My daughter is 12 she’ll be 13 in three months She don’t want to go to her dad house so I have to make her go

I am waiting on a court date to modify parenting and I am asking to modify parenting time because my daughter doesn’t want to go over her dad house all the time and she doesn’t like how he’s been treating her or the things he have said about me to her I hate having to make her go and here lately when it’s her weekend to go she’ll refuse to go and I bring her to the drop off location but she won’t get out the car and she’ll start crying I have asked her why and what’s the issue and she say thing like I don’t spend time with my dad they treat me different when I’m over there or she just don’t want to go I need help on what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You are doing the right thing by filing the motion. Perhaps there is something negative going on that your daughter is afraid of disclosing. Still, your duty is to comply with the parenting time order and continue facilitating her relationship with her father. Typically in these situations with a child her age, a judge will conduct an "in camera" interview with the child to see more what's going on from the child's perspective. You do not what that interview to reveal any implication that you had something to do with your daughter's thoughts on her father.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.