Naples, FL asked in Consumer Law and Construction Law for Florida

Q: Pool company does not exist anymore and left me with unfinished pool. What can I do to get my money back?

Dec. 3, 2021 I signed a contract with Hydrotech pools for building a pool in my backyard.

Now this company does not exist anymore. All the people I had contact with are not at the company anymore. I was at their office and it was empty, like abandoned. I paid everything except an amount of $ 6100, but I do not have the equipment like pool heater and pool pump. This items need to be installed by an electrician and a plumber. The pebbles are not done and the backyard is not filled up with dirt to be leveled with the neighbors. I fear that to finish the pool with another company will cost more than the open amount. Can I sue the owner of the company to pay for the costs which exceed the open amount and all the troubles I have now? Are there any institutions in Naples they can help with this kind of problems?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You probably can't sue the owner, assuming the company is a limited liability company (LLC) or corporation; that's what limited liability is all about. While there are possible scenarios under which you might be able to "pierce the corporate veil". it's not likely that you would succeed. Next time be more careful, possibly, for example, requiring a performance bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.