Glassboro, NJ asked in Contracts for New Jersey

Q: Can I sue if a house I was to buy with closing date was cancelled due to one party injuring themselves.

I was set to buy a house in NJ. The couple were getting a divorce and they accepted everything. We had a closing date but husband left state 2 weeks prior and did not sign final paper work. He got in an accident and has brain damage. Wife cancelled agreement to purchase. She had given permission to move property in and then cancelled in process of move. I want to recoup all move costs and for frustration. I am 100% disabled vet.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: One needs to be competent to sign a legal document. You did not describe the extent of the injury. An action to appoint a guardian would be required if the injury made it impossible for the seller to be deemed unable to understand the nature or terms of the documents to be signed in order to complete the sale. The time involved in having a guardian appointed could be lengthy. I believe that you should discuss this issue with the attorney representing you in the sale. A demand letter could be sent to the sellers asking for compensation for the damages you suffered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.