Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law and Education Law for Mississippi

Q: Can my child be enrolled under a former last name if the order was made to change and it has been changed for +1 year?

I, Dad, have joint legal custody, whereas 'Mom' has paramount physical, custody, and care. In the order, I was granted permission to change one of our daughters' names (Child S) as the other already had my last name (Child F). Child S is enrolled in school as SR instead of SH. She was informed of this over a year ago and still refuses to get a current birth certificate and register SH under the correct name. Is this legal? It is so difficult to get a lawyer to represent a Dad fighting for more than the standard birthday package. What can I do to help my children?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You certainly recognize the problem, and the fact that a lawyer could help. You can order a birth certificate at the clerk's office in the county where she was born if it is in Florida. In other situations, contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics for the state of birth.

Once you have a certified copy of the birth certificate you can begin your campaign in earnest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.