Decatur, IL asked in Divorce for Ohio

Q: My wife filed for divorce. The papers were sent a month ago via certified mail. I have not received the papers.

The tracking indicates it is running late, but on the way. When I checked with the post office they said I should have received it by now, it was probably destroyed by their sorting machines. Not sure how to proceed or who to contact. I do not have an attorney due to finances. I let her and her lawyer know, but they said there was nothing to do but wait. There is a scheduling hearing Oct 12, 2022 and not sure what to do since I have not been served. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Raquel Ann Parish
Raquel Ann Parish
  • Delaware, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure require that service must be completed on the opposing party prior to the court making any final rulings in the case. There is nothing to do until the papers are received from the post office, sheriff or process server. Parties who avoid service can be served by publication notice in a local newspaper. If parties are in agreement to go forward with a case they can file a waiver of service to absolve the filing party of the requirement to serve the court papers by certified mail, process server or sheriff. Parties should be aware of all court timelines and timelines for answering in filing any waivers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.