Chicago, IL asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: Can I apply for court supervision a second time even though it hasn’t been 12 months since my last court supervision?

So I currently got into a car accident in where it was my fault. No one got hurt. But I got a ticket for reduce to speed/accident. I was trying to brake but my foot slipped off the brakes and it was too late. I took a court supervision in November. I was told no tickets between 6 months or 12 but this month marks 11. I need my drive license to drive to work and school. I was heading to school during the accident. It was just a mistake that costed me. But I wanted to know if the jury would be able to grant this for me. I haven’t done anything wrong to cause problems since my last ticket and this was unfortunately thing that happened and it was an accident.

1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: They may grant you supervision twice in a year. But even if you were convicted, if the Nov ticket is the only one for 12 months it will not be a problem. Having said that, go to court and ask them if the other driver showed up. If they did not show up, most likely the ticket will be dropped. By the way, the sentencing decision is with the judge not a jury.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.