Rigby, ID asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Idaho

Q: My husband and I separated, I applied for daycare and food stamp assistance. Child support now wants to open a case.

I don’t want to go through child support to calculate,we want to solve our issues regarding financial support for our children amicably, can we go about that without further action from child support?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Nope. By applying for Idaho benefits, Idaho has a "vested interest," in making sure that whatever monies it has provided you, are paid back. That means that whatever you and your husband thought you had decided, may be okayed by the Court, but the Department of Health and Welfare, Bureau of Child Support Enforcement, will need to make sure that whatever benefits you've received, will be repaid, somehow. Very important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.