Xenia, OH asked in Real Estate Law and Divorce for Ohio

Q: If my husband purchased our home before we were married, and I am not on the mortgage, am I also financially responsible

We are divorcing. Can I record a Quit Claim deed to him for my marital equity prior to divorce so I can obtain another home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The divorce will divide assets, equity, and debts between the spouses, to determine who gets what and who pays what. A Quit Claim Deed would not be effective until after the divorce has been finalized by the court. Talk to your divorce attorney about it, or use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local divorce attorney to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.