Danville, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: Can my wife and I be compelled by a Texas court to reveal the details of our revocable, living trust?

My son and his spouse live in Texas and are divorcing. My son received an order from a Texas court that he produce items requested by the spouse's attorney. One item requested were any documents related to his parent's trust. We live, and our revocable, living trust was created, in California. Both Trustees (my wife and I) are still living. Our attorney indicated that we cannot be compelled to divulge the contents of our revocable, living trust. What are revocable trust disclosure requirements in Texas when the Trustees are still living? What could happen if we just refused to produce the documents? Could they be subpoenaed by the Texas court? What is the potential harm to our son living in Texas if we refuse to give him the documents ordered by the Texas court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN
  • Licensed in California

A: You posted this in California for California attorneys to answer, but most California attorneys do not know Texas law. Some might, but most are not licensed in both states. If you are asking a question about Texas law, you should post it under Texas.

In the meantime, you might want to talk to your California estate planning attorney about options available to you to prevent the possibility of your son's divorcing spouse ever getting her hands on his inheritance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.