Santa Paula, CA asked in Landlord - Tenant for California

Q: Do I have a major case?

Slumlord case seeking $25k+

Case facts:

Gas shut off and forced to live without heat, hot water, and stove from Nov 2021 until Jul 2022

Retaliation/wrongful eviction disguised by owner move-in

Defamation; harassed through unlawful detainer until move out. Landlord has not complied with terms of settlement.

Landlord refused to make plumbing repairs during unlawful detainer forcing me to stay elsewhere

Malicious prosecution: frivolous small claims action against me

Security deposit theft (terms included in settlement)

Landlord neglected the safety of tenants and allowed gang members and homeless to live on the property, come and go behind the gates at all hours of the night without question or reason

Looking to hire on contingency immediately. Located in Ventura County.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith PRO label
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sounds like a good case to me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.