Tupelo, MS asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Mississippi

Q: If someone is on papers and they get pulled over and have a firearm how does the feds pick it up before court date

This person was convicted felon and he got stopped for no seatbelt one day and had a firearm and went to jail and was able to bond out and had an upcoming court date but when he reported to his PO the US Marshals had indicted him and I don't understand how or why

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: The federal system tends to work much faster than the state system. The other thing to remember is that the federal penalties tend to be much harsher than the state side, even for something as relatively small being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. The person's best bet is going to be to reach out to an experienced criminal defense lawyer who has handled cases on the federal side.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.