Chatham, NJ asked in Car Accidents and Criminal Law for New Jersey

Q: I woke up one night at approximately 5pm, I went outside to go to Walmart and my car was gone. I reported car stolen.

The police came back the next night accusing me of making false report because apparently my ex boyfriend was driving the car and had gotten into an accident. I allow him to use my car when he needs it but in this particular day I did not know that he had the car as I thought he was out of state. Now the police are threatening to charge me. My question is how do I avoid myself being charged(at time of report I truly thought car stolen) also I do not want my ex being charged with stolen car either. I'm stressed out I don't know what to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael A. Smolensky
Michael A. Smolensky
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cinnaminson, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: This sounds important. But it is difficult to answer this question online because more information is necessary. If it is as important to you as it sounds, then you will want to contact a private attorney to discuss this in more detail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.