Shelbyville, IN asked in Car Accidents and Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: My friend was driving my car and I was asleep. He hit phone pole and ran. I walked home because I was scared what do I d

I don't have insurance and I'm scared. The cops came here but I hadn't made it home yet. I don't know what to do

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If your friend had insurance, the accident is covered.

If your friend didn't have insurance, you gave your friend permission to drive your car, knowing that it was uninsured so you are responsible for all property damage and/or personal injury that resulted. Whether you were driving or your friend was driving is of no legal consequence. It was your car and your responsibility. If neither you nor your friend were covered by a valid automobile insurance policy on the date of the accident, you need to immediately contact the utility involved and offer to enter into a repayment program on terms that you can maintain. If you fail to do this, your driver's license will be subject to mandatory suspension, indefinitely. You should immediately contact a traffic attorney to discuss what they can do for you. FYI - when the occupants of a car flee a one-car accident, the police immediately assume that they fled because they were drunk and didn't want to be charged with driving under the influence. You need a capable traffic attorney.

In addition to a repayment agreement, your driver's license is subject to indefinite suspension until you purchase auto insurance to provide an SR-21 form (proof of financial responsibility) which is guaranteed to cost you considerably more now than it would have cost you if you had purchased it prior to the accident. You have every reason to be scared. The police aren't going away so you need to contact a local traffic attorney, ASAP. I wish I could be more positive.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.