Portland, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can I be evicted if in Aug I paid over half my rent then Sept and Oct paid rent in full

I told them what had happened and asked if they would work with me and make payments twords the rent they never reached out and now I have court papers to go to court is this legal

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Goodman
Katherine Goodman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: As a tenant you have a duty to pay the full amount owed for rent every month, but your landlord can accept partial payments and still retain the right to terminate your tenancy for failure to pay rent. However, there are circumstances in which your landlord has waived their right to terminate your tenancy when accepting partial payment of rent. This occurs when a particular violation of the rental agreement or of law if the landlord: (a) during three or more separate rental periods, accepts rent with knowledge of the violation by the tenant; or (b) Accepts performance by a tenant that varies from the terms of the rental agreement. Without seeing the lease agreement, notices of termination, and other correspondence with your landlord it is difficult to know if either circumstance applies.

However, if you can you should offer to pay the full amount that you currently owe your landlord with the goal of having your landlord dismiss the case. If you have not spoken with a landlord tenant attorney you should do so.

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.