North Brunswick, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: I need help with return of my security deposit. We've lived here nearly 25 years and paid a security deposit of $1650.00

Our original landlord passed away and his daughter is in charge now. She has already refused to return the security to one of his tenants and we are planning to move. We only had a written lease for the first year. Our original landlord was a man of his word, so the few times I asked about the security I got a positive answer. I'm not sure if or where he deposited the security, and to be honest, no longer have our original lease. There are many other problems since he passed, but I'm more interested in getting our security deposit back with interest. We are seniors citizens on a fixed income.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The law is in your favor. Send a letter to the landlord demanding, within 30 days, return of the security deposit with accumulated interest. Should the landlord refuse, you may file a complaint in court seeking treble damages. If you retain an attorney, the landlord will be responsible for the attorney's fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.