Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arizona

Q: I need to know if this is how it works

I am in a custody case with my 15 1/2 yr old son and his biological father. We were never married. The Judge issued temp orders in March and our final court is the end of October. I have given proof to my atty of how many of those orders he violated and wanted her to file Contempt of Court charges. She said she couldn't file that until the final court date is over and if he keeps it up after that. Is that true? Does he then get away with everything he has done already? Shouldn't they be filed before final court so the Judge is aware of the things he has done in violation of the Judge's temp orders that he has committed in the last few months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You can file a Petition for Contempt of Temporary Orders prior to the final trial. Your attorney may be hesitant to do so now because there's a good chance it would lead to the final trial being postponed 3-4 months. You also might be past your deadline to disclose the evidence for use at trial.

But if none of the time pressure applied, then, yes, you could file a Petition prior to final trial; or you could discuss the violations in your Pretrial Statement; your evidence could be disclosed to the other side and prepared to be submitted as an exhibit at trial, and you could testify about it at trial.

All that said, you're better off going into trial with an attorney, and you're too close to the trial date to realistically switch lawyers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.