Stockton, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: SSA terminated benefits without a notice of hearing allegedly for not cooperating with a local county.

Is SSA authorized to outsource eligibility determination? and even when Local government is involved in legal matters with the SSDI recipient.

After years on SSDI, SSA reassessed and reapproved SSDI for another 5-7 years. Soon after SSA terminated SSDI without a notice of hearing. Recipient had no opportunity to submit any evidence.

Matter pending appeal with commissioner for years without response.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn
Elizabeth Fowler Lunn pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC

A: Social Security uses a state agency to make medical determinations at the initial and reconsideration stages. The agency is usually called Disability Determination Services, or something similar. This is often the same agency that makes the medical determinations for Medicaid.

When Social Security decides to terminate benefits for any reason, a notice is sent to the claimant explaining why benefits are being terminated and spells out the appeal rights. If your matter is pending at Social Security then it sounds like you filed an appeal. Right now the wait time at Social Security is growing longer and longer. You can call Social Security and get the status of your appeal just so you know where in the process your appeal is pending. Wait times for a hearing are often a year or more, so that may be why you have not been scheduled for a hearing yet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.