Camden, NJ asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: i have a question about family law in puerto rico. My question is if i sign my rights over do i still pay child support?

I am also looking for a lawyer in puerto rico .

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: You need to be more specific regarding "signing over your rights". Are you ceding your "parens patriae" ("patria potestad", in Spanish) rights, which are your right to make decisions regarding the well-being of your child? Are you ceding your custody right, which is your right to have your child live with you? Are you ceding your affiliation right, which is your right to be in your child's life? Under any and all three of these scenarios, you are still obligated to pay for child support until the latter of (a) your child becomes of legal age at 21 years; (b) your child becomes legally emancipated at or after 18 years of age; or (c) your child is legally adopted by another parent of the same gender as yourself.

Even when any of these conditions are met, stopping child support payments is not automatic. You would need to go before a court of law to procure permission to stop payments; and your child's other parent (and perhaps, your child) will have a say in the matter as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.