Asked in Health Care Law and Small Claims for Tennessee

Q: In Tennessee can a dentist office bill me for services performed over two years ago?

I visited this dentist over two years ago and they apparently made a billing error with the change over to a new system. I never received a bill. I had been seeing a different dentist and I recently decided to go back to this office. I made an appointment and was informed of a $250 balance. I called to reschedule the appointment a few days later and the receptionist had a very bad attitude and I told her to just cancel the appointment instead. She then told me I had an outstanding balance of $490! A few days later I got a bill in the mail for $810. I called and talked to the office manager and she told me about the change in systems and as I am arguing my point she said from past notes it looks like I have had issues with the way they bill before and basically insinuated that I was trying to get dental services for nothing. She suggested we not do business together anymore. I am just frustrated with the way I was treated like a criminal or a deadbeat, because they screwed up the bill.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: SOL has not run on that services charge yet. You might compute your balance and then call them offering payment of the same. Do not send a check, but use a money order. Otherwise they will know where to collect a judgment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.