Austin, TX asked in Construction Law and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: The general contractor did not pay the subcontractor for landscaping work for the house and lien is going to be in place

AUSTIN TEXAS: I have paid the full amount to the general contractor ($17.5K) but they have not paid the subcontractor for over 3 weeks. They ignored texts/calls and so the subcontractor stopped by our house to let us know that they are going to file a lien against our house.

What do we need to do at this point? If we pursue legal action on this matter, what would be the cost range?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Because the amount is less than $20,000, you can file suit without hiring an attorney in justice court. I would sue both the general contractor and landscaping subcontractor in justice court.

Given the small amount involved, it would most likely not be cost effective to hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.