West Lafayette, IN asked in Contracts, Collections, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Indiana

Q: My roommate is refusing to pay their half of the rent. What can I do to get them to pay? Both our names are on the lease

I moved into an apartment with my girlfriend, both our names are on the lease. She ended up cheating on me and moving out after 2 weeks of living here. She says that she will not pay any rent and so far has refused to. The leasing office informed us on during the signing process on numerous occasions that even should we break up, there is no way out of the lease. I have a police report during her move out where the officer states that she is moving out of her own free will. I'm seeking a solution to getting her to honor her part of the leasing contract.

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: It's possible that you have a suit against her for contribution, but just because you can sue someone doesn't mean that you are going to get anything from her. See a local lawyer for advice. This is not a criminal matter.

I hope you can cover the rent on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.