London, KY asked in Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: In KY can a Circuit Court Clerk’s surety bond issuer be sued for her negligence in filing a case?

On 12/27/21 I sent an administrative appeal with an in forma pauperis (IFP) to the Franklin Circuit Court. The filing deadline was 1/10/22. The clerk received and signed for the filing on 1/3/22. Per CR. 5.05 any filing accompanied by an IFP is to be considered filed when it received by the clerk. KY courts have supported the rule, Nanny v. Smith, 260 S.W.3d 815 (KY. 2008) and Commonwealth v. Opell, 3 S.W.3d 747 (KY. App. 1999). The clerk filed my case 4 days after the deadline on 1/14/22, case No: 2022-CA-00018. The case was dissmissed for being filed late which I am now appealing. In April 2022 I filed a complaint against the clerk with the Circuit Court Clerk Conduct Commission which is still investigating the case 222-CCC-003. I cannot find any case law in KY on point with my issue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You might want to consider asking the Franklin circuit court to reinstate the case given the facts above. It seems clear your appeal would have been timely filed but for the clerical delay. The tiles provide for the court to consider such requests and act on them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.