Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: My brother was arrested for possession of cocaine, it was meth, & they didnt put an amount. Defect in Indictment?

Can he get that dismissed? Dont they have to put a weight and the right drug? Which Motion to dismiss would it be- failure to state an offense or defect in charging instrument? We cant afford an attorney and his public defender does not answer, any help on what to file or look up would be appreciated. Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The State has the burden of proof in all cases to convince a jury that all allegations in an indictment are true. The remedy in the situation you describe is to set the case for trial (and in the meanwhile, have the drugs tested by an independent 3rd party lab; your brother can't just walk up to a Judge, say: "It was meth, not cocaine" and have a Judge respond:, "Oh. Okay. Case dismissed.")

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.