Poughkeepsie, NY asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for New Jersey

Q: Can I file a lawsuit against the State of NJ and the office involved if my cost convition appeal was approved?

My 3rd DWI had been overturned on a post convition appeal due to the Cassidy v. NJ case. I served 180 days in jail because of the charge. I got charged in 2015 went right to jail and released in 2016. The case was just overturned and I please down to careless driving. Can I have a lawsuit because of this or would it be a waste of time for the wrongful imprisonment. I also was injured while I was in jail due to working.

1 Lawyer Answer
Zev Goldstein
Zev Goldstein
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New City, NY

A: You posted this question to the NY attorney's forum. Try posting it again in NJ. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.