Spring Hill, FL asked in Family Law and Divorce for Florida

Q: How can I get my personal belongings back from my husband?

My husband and I agreed to separate. We are still married. I took what few personal belongings I could, and he agreed that I could come back for the rest of my belongings when I was able to get a moving truck. This was supposed to be immediate, but every time I was able to come get it, he'd make excuses and put it off to a later date. During this time, he took all of my things and moved without telling me until afterwards. He will not tell me the new address, and he is no longer answering my calls or texts. He has things like my passport, birth certificate, and social security card. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It sounds like you need to go to court. You say that the two of you have agreed to divorce. You are going to need to file a divorce with the court. At that point you can ask the court for help with getting your personal items returned. Your other non-court option would be to contact the police and say that he has stolen your belongings. Speak with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.