Peru, IL asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Illinois

Q: What sort of contract will guarantee me compensation for money put into a house I don't own?

My boyfriend is buying a home we will live in together. The loan is VA so I can't be on the title until we are married, but I don't want to invest money into renovations if I have no legal rights to it. Is there any sort of contract we can create and sign that promises to pay me back a portion of the money I might spend on the house if we break up?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bryan R. Bagdady
Bryan R. Bagdady
  • Oakbrook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I always counsel boyfriend/girlfriend client situations to ask themselves what documentation would they want if the other person were not your boyfriend/girlfriend. It is a mistake to think that the status of boyfriend/girlfriend has anything to do with the commercial arrangement of loaning money. Most certainly, the social status does not provide you with adequate protections or any secured interest. In my opinion, you need a promissory note with a security interest.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.