Baton Rouge, LA asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: This question has to do with acquiring property. Am I in the right forum?

I was power of attorney to an elderly woman whom passed four years ago. I have paid taxes for the past 4 years on the property left after residents died and left no instructions on whom to contact after their deaths. They had no children. I have attempted to contact the one person iknow to be related which lives in another state but no answer in over 4 years. I would like to own the property but have no idea where to begin. The house is paid for, I found that information from the owner before her death. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: Why did you pay the taxes? A tax sale would have possibly got you the property. Hire an attorney to search the title, then determine heirship/succession. Even one heir might quit claim his interest which puts you in possession of the property, even though other heirs exist. The other option is not pay taxes and rush the Parrish to a tax sale.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.