Charlotte, NC asked in Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: I broke a no contact order and I'm the victim. I fell into his trap. However, things have gotten worse.

He got me fired from my job and shows up knocking on my window at night when I tell him not to come over. He talks me into getting a ride to somewhere when he comes over late then always ends up back at my house. We will be good for days then it starts over again. I want him to stay away for good. I'm afraid that since I broke the order nothing will be done and it will make things worse if I call the police when he shows up. He has been here invited but I haven't invited him over recently. I answer his calls, etc because I'd like to know where he is and his state of mind. I realize he won't change because he drinks and it will never stop. I really want him gone but scared of the backlash if I call when he shows up uninvited and nothing is done. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nick Benjamin
Nick Benjamin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Who has the no contact order? Does he have one against you, or do you have one against him? And when you say 'no contact order,' is that a 50B restraining order or is that a pretrial release condition from a criminal charge? You either want contact or you don't - if you don't, and you dont want him contacting you and you have a no contact order, then call the police. It is not necessarily a defense for him that you initiated contact - he still can't have contact with you. If you care about him, stop contacting him, because you will likely only get him arrested.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.