Barberton, OH asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Ohio

Q: I received a check from my deceased husband's pension, to the estate of his name. I'm his beneficiary .

What do I do with the check. He had no will. His two children are grown adults. We owed nothing as far as property or vehicles or financial accounts. Desperate in akron,ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: I recommend contacting the pension company to see how things were set up. If you are indeed the beneficiary, then the bond company will usually re-issue the check in your name. On the other hand, if you are not the beneficiary on the account, then the check is an estate asset and you need probate to cash the check. Depending on some other factors, you may qualify for a simplified process to just get the funds payable from the check. I recommend sitting down with a probate/estate planning attorney who can assist you. Many offer free consultations.

Best of luck.

Mary Ellen Leslie agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.