Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: How to get my grandchildren out of Mexico we're my daughter dropped them off ayears ago to a stranger

She has 3todlersvin Mexico and had not.bern back to see them she suffers from pps after her last child she has 3,more older children 911,that stay with there father brother wife and the oldest child sh16 threw to hold her own how can I get my grandchildren bk in my custody and make my daughter seek mental help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: That was difficult to follow, but it sounds like your daughter dropped her three children off to Mexico "years ago."

The first thing that we need to figure out is jurisdiction. Both Mexico and the U.S. are parties to a treaty on child custody that is part of The Hague Convention. Under that treaty, both countries have agreed that the nation where the children have "habitually resided" is the nation that will determine. Based on what you provided, it sounds like that country is Mexico. Therefore, I'd recommend you'd speak with an attorney in the Mexican state where they live about what you need to file to get them back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.