Naples, FL asked in Employment Law for Illinois

Q: Employer isn't tracking vacation time correctly in their payroll software

My former employer under recorded the amount of agreed upon vacation time in their Quickbooks payroll software, and as a result, I was not paid out all of my vacation time upon termination from the company. My paystubs each pay period show available vacation time, and are proof of the fact. My acceptance letter from hen I started working there also indicates the terms of the vacation time benefits. Do I have any legal recourse in this scenario? It is a small LLC company headquartered in Illinois.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nicholas James Crawford
Nicholas James Crawford
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Whether you have recourse depends on what law may apply to your case. Under Illinois law, employers must pay out all earned vacation on the paycheck after termination. While the company is in Illinois, and Illinois law would give you recourse to collect unpaid earned vacation, you reside in Florida and Florida law may not be as strict as Illinois. Generally, the law of the state where you work dictates the employment law applied to your case. You should reach out to an Illinois attorney to evaluate whether Illinois or Florida law will apply in your situation and where and how to bring a claim.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.