Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation for Kentucky

Q: Kentucky Civil Court. On appeal from district court after remand does case get a different case number?

On appeal from the Laurel District Court my friend's lawyer erroneously filed a writ of mandamus under the circuit appeal case no. The circuit court remanded it back to district which affirmed its first order. He filed another notice and statement of appeal, but it has not been given a case number after two years. Is the case supposed to be issued another number or should the appeal have been filed without another notice and statement of appeal? I know in fed court a second appeal after remand is given a different case number.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: A case is given one case number at each level of court it reaches (District, Circuit, KCA, KSC). That number never changes no matter how many times the case is in (or back in) that court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.