Washington, DC asked in Adoption and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: My mom adopted my child because I was in prison. My child has lived with me for 2 years. How can I overturn the adoption

My mom says she doesn’t want my daughter and verbally and emotionally abused her. I’d like to overturn the adoption and get my rights back

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The first question is whether your mother formally adopted your daughter or whether she simply took guardianship of her as a result of your incarceration. But, if your mother no longer wants control over your daughter and you are able to handle the responsibilities, then ask your mother to sign whatever papers are needed for her to relinquish her interest back to you. You may need to go through a court proceeding to formalize it but if the setting is as bad as you suggest between your mother and your child, presumably your mother will gladly sign the papers.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.