Clearfield, UT asked in Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: I received a speeding ticket for going 73 on a 50. I’m only 17. Can I get points reduced so my license isn’t suspended?

I received a ticket for going 23 mph over, which will result in 75 points on my record. I’m under 21 which means I can only have 70 points on my record. What can I do to reduce points so I don’t have my license suspended? I have a clean driving record prior to this incident.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You contact the prosecutor to see if they will reduce the speed or allow you to complete traffic school. You can also contact an attorney to help you. Speeding tickets are only infractions so the court won't appoint you an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.