Las Vegas, NV asked in Child Custody for Nevada

Q: In a child custody order does removing a child from the state without permission mean move or vacation?

I have sole legal and physical custody of my child. I was reading through my order and came upon the part stating that neither party may remove the child from the state with out permission from the other party. I am understanding this as I may not move out of state without permission. I just wanted clarification that this does not meant I cannot take my child on vacation out of state. The non custodial parent is in prison so there really is no way to get any type of permission anyways. I have had full custody for 3 years and never saw this before.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Yes, normally this is referring to 'relocating' with the child out of state. In order to relocate or move the child out of state, you will either need the approval from the other parent or a court order.

Taking the child out of the state for vacation, does not normally require permission from either the court or the other parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.