Philadelphia, PA asked in Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: My husband wants a divorce and is trying to sell before the divorce a vehicle he gifted me prior to marriage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There isn't a question here, but we can intuit that this asker wants to know if the husband can sell a vehicle he gifted to the asker spouse. The answer is yes until the divorce is actually filed. Couples are free to transact business without legal permission. That is the essential nature of "freedom": we can act without permission from a government entity.

Perhaps this asker should file for divorce to save her automobile by way of an automatic stay the law imposes in divorce actions. However, the asker should understand that an automobile is a rapidly depreciating asset and can be here today and gone tomorrow.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.