Derby, CT asked in Landlord - Tenant and Personal Injury for Connecticut

Q: I fell in my public housing and injured after a flood from the apartment above us that was under repair. What can I do

If I file a claim, can the housing authoritie make me leave or raise my rent.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Connecticut attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. And if public entities are involved, it's possible there could be notice of claim issues that require prompt filing action. Your best option is probably to reach out to Connecticut personal injury attorneys at this point. Free initial consults are the norm in the industry. An experienced personal injury attorney should be able to consult with landlord-tenant attorneys about whether there could be retaliatory aspects to the issues you raise about rent increase or eviction. If nothing else, you could learn the timeframes within which you must take action to preserve your legal rights if you choose to pursue an injury claim. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.