Denver, CO asked in Immigration Law for Colorado

Q: My mom got naturalized before my 18th but I was overseas ?

My mom got naturalized before my 18th but I was overseas ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: If she naturalized after your birth, then you must be lawfully admitted as a lawful permanent resident before your eighteenth birthday to derive citizenship through her. Normally, citizenship is derived at birth, but there is an exception for lawful permanent resident children admitted into the U.S. under the age of 18 years old.

There may be quite a few reasons why this happened, but this unclear. As a result, she must decide when and whether to petition you for lawful permanent resident status. If you are over 21 years old, and unmarried, then you will be subject to the Congressionally mandated and restrictive quotas for first preference beneficiaries sponsored by their U.S. citizen parents. You may also be subject to other grounds of inadmissibility detailed within the Immigration and Nationality Act. Your family ought to hire a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any complications.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.