Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Personal Injury and Small Claims for California

Q: My building is infested with cockroaches. What type of lawyer do I need for an landlord/tenant case.

My building is infested with cockroaches. It wasn't when I moved in but after 1 and a half years, It is ridiculous. I have spent nearly $1000 to keep them out and kill them. I have written my landlord four letters of the last 3 months asking for him to step in and hire a professional. He has done nothing. They are getting worse due to a neighbor who has the worst infestation I have ever seen going on in her apartment. No one will help and I can't deal with this anymore. I woke up with one crawling on me, 3 times. I have went to my bathroom and grabbed toilet paper and had them fall out and onto my legs. It's seriously effecting both the mental health of myself and my boyfriend. I haven't withheld rent yet but am considering do so next month. There are other issues as well, our emergency fire exit is inaccessible. Locked by the landlord. We are upstairs. I put a fire extinguisher that I purchased into the extinguisher box next to my home, outside for the 4 of us tenants just in case we

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A California attorney could advise best, but you await a response for two weeks. For your question about what type of lawyer you need, the lease/rent/habitability issues would fall under the expertise of a landlord-tenant attorney. In terms of personal injury damages, law firms tend to require significant injuries to justify the cost of litigation on a contingency basis. This is not to diminish the ordeal you are experiencing, but that's an attribute of the legal industry. As a starting point, an experienced landlord-tenant attorney should be able to help you sort out the various issues here. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.