Myrtle, MS asked in Child Custody and Civil Rights for Mississippi

Q: My granddaughter 4 has been in DHS care, next month will be a year,. This last April, DHS stopped the supervised visits,

They said my son was hustle towards her. He was not, something happened for DHS to take her away from the grandfather on a Saturday, when we seen her a week later, something was wrong with her, she walked in the room and stood in a corner and wouldn't take. That scraped my son and I and we started to ask her what was wrong.. about two weeks earlier, she told my son, that she was good and Mom's boyfriend bought her a tent, and the both of them watched a movie together in the tent, SSW, said she found the tent at the house,. Being dad, don't he have the right to ask her daughter what happened? Now they are talking about Adoption, what can we do? Please help us..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: It is hard to tell from the facts given what exactly is going on. If the SW and/or DHS are talking about adoption, the best advice I can give is that you immediately hire an attorney who has been experience working in Youth Court and Chancery Court matters.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.