Ellenwood, GA asked in Animal / Dog Law and Personal Injury for Georgia

Q: What would be the best way to proceed with getting relief outside of court on a personal injury from a dog bite due to

negligence of owner Ordering a food delivery( I’m told this would be inviting me on their property) and not securing their dog.Also If I fill out the company’s workers claim form ( which I believe primarily covers medical bills)for the incident does this limit my relief from the owner?

Could it be as simple as Sending a letter to the owner and owner filing homeowners insurance?

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael W. Horst
Michael W. Horst
  • Alpharetta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It is always preferable to settle a case short of filing a lawsuit. Lawsuits are expensive, time consuming, and stressful. In dog bite cases, a good first step is to learn the identity of the homeowner's insurer. If the homeowner will provide that information, you can then file a claim with the insurer. However, be forewarned, that often times a homeowner will refuse to voluntarily provide the insurance information. In that case, your only option is to file a lawsuit.

The fact that you have filed a workers compensation claim should in no way impair your right or ability to pursue the homeowner (and his insurer) for your injuries and damages. The comp carrier will have a lien for any monies the carrier paid you but most of the time that lien may be ignored.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.