Atlanta, GA asked in Child Custody for Mississippi

Q: Can a grandmother get full custody of a child when the mom dies and biological father is alive and wants full custody?

Mother killed while child was 6wks old BEFORE paternity established BUT father petitioned paternity after mother’s death IMMEDIATELY in NOV (2021). Grandmother ran off with baby & was not in communication with alleged father UNTIL paternity established 2months ago (2022). Paternity has now been established and grandmother has temp custody, father has visitation every 2wks, and in court BOTH asked for full custody. Father’s nose is clean & never gave up rights. Now it is up to the judge as to who will get custody. Grandmother has also cutoff communication with deceased mother’s father’s side of the family. Will the dad get custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You don’t say how old the child is; however, the grandmother will have to overcome the natural parent presumption which says that the biological parents are the natural guardians of their children. The presumption may be overcome if the father has 1. consented to a third party having custody through a court order, 2. abandoned or deserted the child, 3. is unfit, or 4. is engaged in activity which is imminently detrimental or dangerous to the child and is not likely to stop in the foreseeable future. If none of these are proven, the child should be placed with the father. If one is proven, the parties will be on a more equal footing and the court will have to do an Albright analysis to determine the more appropriate custodian for the child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.