Somersworth, NH asked in Divorce and Insurance Bad Faith for New Hampshire

Q: If a judge says I can stay on my husband's insurance after divorce, how can a federal insurance deny that?

My husband wants a divorce. But we are doing it amicably and he wants to keep me on his health insurance due to my health issues. He wants to have it written into the final papers. He has a federal health plan and spoke with someone the other day; the insurance says I cannot be on his insurance after divorce even if a NH judge says I can. How can they disregard what a judge declares to be so? Is this legal? It doesn't sound right to us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Insurance Claims Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A New Hampshire attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. I can only speak for the insurance law-based attributes of your question, not the divorce-related ones. But as a general matter, courts do not usually have the power to change insurance policies. If the contract of insurance itself is called into lawfulness before the court, such as constitutionality, contract law, ethics, or other issues, a court could rule on those. But nationwide, courts cannot usually alter the provisions of insurance coverage. This is only a generality. At this point, you could reach out to New Hampshire attorneys for a more definitive and thorough look at your setting. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.