Clark, NJ asked in Civil Litigation for New Jersey

Q: My friend borrowed my car to go to a family engagement. After the party on her way back to my house, she was stopped by

She was stopped by police for having a suspended license, which I did not know about. A few days later I receive notification from attorney offices advising me to get counsel. I am wondering what are my rights here and what should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Yes you need a good traffic ticket lawyer as you are probably charged with allowing an unlicensed driver to drive your car. If you get convicted of this offense which is I would assume 39:3-37.1(a) which carries a fines up to $500 and or up to 15 days in Jail. Thus yes you need a lawyer and a good one. I have been in court where a person hires a cheap lawyer and then ends up with a bad result so make sure you choose the best lawyer not the cheapest. Most of us traffic ticket lawyers offer a free in office consultation, I would suggest that you start with one of them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.