Milton, MA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for New Jersey

Q: Three months of silence, so how do I handle a non-responsive probate lawyer?

I am one of two beneficiaries of an estate. We're at five years and counting, and I have been represented by a NJ lawyer on this matter as I live out of state. I was notified of new assets one year ago by executor via my lawyer, who was unable to provide any additional details. Assets entered estate over summer. I asked my lawyer if we could request an updated informal inventory since we have not been provided an inventory of estate in 2+ years. I contacted my lawyer with instructions on how to proceed after being told they were not sure what else to do. I requested informal inventory. If rejected by executor, then request a formal inventory through court. My lawyer has gone silent for past three months. I contacted my lawyer via email, voice message, contact form on website, certified letter (which was undeliverable but same mailing address used for other mail and on website)....approaching 90 days with no response. Can try to find substitute lawyer but likely difficult. Suggestions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Contact the Office of Attorney Ethics at the NJ Supreme Court and ask for assistance with obtaining a response from the attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.