Calera, OK asked in Civil Litigation and Animal / Dog Law for Texas

Q: What do I do about a leaser leaving cattle on my property and not feeding them and abandoning his cattle.

I have asked several time for him to remove the cows by phone because the cows are getting out searching for food, but now he has blocked our numbers. Three other families are feeding these animals, but his excuse was that he had gout and couldn’t. I just need advice on how to get them off my property. They continue to get out and are destroying the neighborhood plants and bushes.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should report the abandoned cattle to your local sheriff's office. If you just want the cattle gone, they will notify the owner and then impound the cattle if they are not removed within five days.

You may be entitled to a redemption price but, as you obviously do not handle livestock on a routine basis, you should contact a lawyer to assist you if you wish to pursue that.

You can also contact your local SPCA who often assist the local sheriff's office in removing stray or abused cattle.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.