Guilford, CT asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Connecticut

Q: i have shared custody. Can I make him take the kids an extra day/l and change days? We do 2/2/5. Id need to do 4/3.

I need to make more money in order to take care of the kids - I am a single mom with shared custody. I’m taking a new job. The training will require 5mos where he would need to take them mon-Fri and I could take them Fri-sunday. Then after that I could go back to the 2/2/5 or adjust as needed. Since it’s for livelihood/survival, can I force this situation if he pushes back. Would I need to go to court or the mediator we used for divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: In my opinion, you should think twice about giving him the children for 4.5 days a week with only 2.5 days left for you. Five months is a long time on this schedule and once you do it, if it happens, it may be difficult to get back what you had.

You should get an agreement together with a mediator and make it a court order with language that you get back the old schedule after 5 months. However, even with this language, he could try to change it later. You may want to consider some work related child care time, the cost to be shared by both of you, so that the division of time is more equal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.