Warren, MI asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: is there anything I can do about a blighted property? the city wont act. can I go over there head?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: "Over their head"? Who would you expect to go to if the city won't act? The State? The Federal Government? A Supreme Being?

You can certainly take some 'out of the box' steps. Why not offer the owner a reasonable amount of money to buy the blighted property and then YOU will be the owner with power to fix it? Or maybe that isn't in the financial cards.

If the City blight people won't deal with things, maybe the City Council would want to know about that? (Is that what you meant by going over their head?) As a city taxpayer you certainly have the right to address the council! I don't know that I'd consider that 'going over their head' but there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

If the City Council isn't interested, perhaps the press would take notice? "Four on your side" or the local paper etc might find it an interesting story to pursue.

There are LOTS of things you can do -- most of them within the social system rather than the legal one, but don't be afraid to think outside the box. Just don't do anything illegal!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.